Without any version of symbolic
language, communication is incredibly frustrating and difficult for both
parties in the conversation. For my two
partners, Holly and Lauren felt irritated at the fact that I could not respond
or make any indication of what I was thinking.
I tried to communicate with hand signals and facial expressions to show
my agreement and understanding, but it was frustrating when my friends did not
understand what I was trying to say.
When Holly or Lauren would turn to specifically me to say something,
they started talking slower and with simpler language as if I did not
understand. The problem was not that I
couldn’t understand them, rather it was the fact that I was unable to respond. The conversation tended to lean towards just
Holly and Lauren talking, rather than keeping me involved. Though they wanted to hear my opinion, the
struggle to share my thoughts was tiring and I slowly stopped responding and
tended to listen instead.
My partners
were definitely in control of the conversation.
As said before, the conversation swayed away from talking to me and I
felt left out. It was very frustrating
when I had very relatable comments I could have contributed to the conversation
but was unable to do so. Whenever Holly
or Lauren asked me a question and I was unable to add sufficient input, they
changed the topic. The topics tended to
change quite frequently as they tried to find a topic I was able to communicate
about. The powers of the conversation
were in the hands of my friends because since they were able to be a big part
in the dialogue, they were able to slow down or speed up the talking, change
the subject, and add commentary.
If my
friends and I were representing two different cultures, my friends’ culture
would be advantageous over mine. Holly
and Lauren’s culture allows the individuals to take a subject of conversation
to the next level and involve not only facts, but also ideas much deeper using opinions
and personal perspectives. Cultures with a more complex and advanced language
will generally be more advanced in their society and environment. The speaking culture might look down upon the
cultures without a developed language and think of them as inferiors. The
culture of many monks living in Asia who have taken the vow of silence compared
to the westernized culture of many large cities in Asia as well as all over the
world mirrors this situation. Though the
act of not speaking was a choice, the monks live incredibly different lives
than us, much of which is because of their vow of silence.
I thought
this part of the assignment was going to be much easier, but I found so much of
our language involves non-verbal communication.
When you picture people conversing, you don’t see people talking in
monotone, without any hand movements or facial expressions. In order to show the emotion, you use these
non-verbal signals. They are incredible
important. I had a very tough time not
being able to raise or change my voice.
I found myself using a lot of descriptive words and talking a lot about
how I felt in order to compensate for not being able to use physical
embellishments. My friends found it
funny to see me without any expression.
They were also confused, and thought it was hard to figure out how I
felt about what I was talking about, like whether what I was saying was a joke
or something serious.
Body
language and the ability to read it are extremely useful because it can tell so
much about what the person is saying. In
all aspects of life, you can tell someone’s feelings, intentions, and needs by
merely watching their body language. For
survival and obtaining resources, you can use your body language to intimidate
predators and prey and for reproduction, you can indicate if you would like to
reproduce or if you are attracted to that individual.
I can tell
whether someone has trouble reading body language because they seem to be
unaware when you might be trying to tell them something without speaking
it. For example, Holly could definitely
tell how frustrated I was in the first exercise by the way I was standing and
my facial expressions, yet Lauren did not notice how frustrated I was. It seems Lauren lacked the ability to read my
body language intently. A situation
where it might be advantageous to not read body language might be when a person
is under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
When someone is under the influence, many times, that person does not
realize what he or she might be communicating with his or her body. During times like these, it would be best not
to read into the signals their bodies are sending.
Great post! I find it interesting, when your friends found it difficult to communicate, they carried on without you as if you were not there. I wonder how many times humans as well as other primates choose to ignore or not participate in a communication when not the same as their form of communication.
ReplyDeleteVery good discussion for Part A. Good coverage of all the key points and good observations.
ReplyDeleteFor Part B, very good description of the discussion itself.
With regard to the type of information you receive, on important point is that body language actually validates our words. So what does it tell you if a person's body language doesn't agree with their words? If you ask a person if they like you new haircut and they say "yes" but their body language suggests "no", which opinion would you be inclined to believe? Would you trust what the person is saying? If your body language doesn't match the words you are saying, this tells the person that you aren't telling the truth and perhaps can't be trusted. Why would this be beneficial in an adaptive sense?
There will be variation in people's ability to read body language (as with any trait) but there are people who are characterized specifically with the inability to read body language, such as those in the autisim spectrum or those who are blind, though they can hear intonation and sense body positioning.
While I see what you are arguing with reference to a person under the influence, I suspect that their body language (which we control without a lot of thought) would still be pretty reliable in a person who is drunk. What about if you were to travel to another country? Do all cultures use the same system of body language?
Hi Laura. Good job on your post. I enjoyed reading it and about your experience with the whole situation. I found it a bit funny how you said that when they turned to speak to you, they spoke slower, as if it made a difference. I agree with you and also think that the culture that can actually speak is at advantage. I think verbal communication is very important, it makes things so much better!! Good luck with the rest of the class!!
ReplyDeleteVery descriptive post! I think we both had similar results in our respective conversations with our partners keeping control of the conversations. We both had struggled communicating any message for our partners to understand as well.
ReplyDelete